Thursday 24 April 2014

Lighting A Lighthouse With A Strobe Attached To A Drone




As a photographer, I’m always looking to capture something in a unique way. This is the craziest landscape photoshoot I have ever done. By taping a tiny Nikon Flash to my DJI Phantom II Drone, I was able to fly my remote helicopter up the side of a lighthouse and light the entire thing with flash. Creating this photograph was one of the most tricky shoots I’ve ever done, and this is how I made it happen.
When it comes to compositing in Photoshop I usually would try to avoid it as much as possible. Truth be told, I was just never that good at blending multiple frames together in a realistic way. Now I feel forever indebted to real estate and architectural photographer Mike Kelley after he taught me a bunch of easy ways to composite multiple exposures together using his “Mike Kelley Flash Technique“. I literally use this technique all the time now. After watching Mike work in person on a few interiors I began to think, “how could I take this style of lighting to an extreme?” Naturally I began brainstorming a few project ideas I had floating around.
Sullivans light house poster print1 Lighting A Lighthouse With A Strobe Attached To A Drone
For the last month or two we have been producing a ton of videos featuring the DJI Phantom II like this video taken in the Bahamas. It’s literally one of the most fun “toys” I’ve ever owned. For the longest time I have wanted to photograph a historic landscape in Charleston and apply this flash light painting technique. One of the most iconic landmarks in Charleston is the Sullivan’s Island Lighthouse so I knew it would be an awesome candidate for this test. Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment