Wednesday 23 April 2014

What Every Filmmaker Ought to Know About Movie Distribution

Movie distribution is one of least sexy areas of the entire filmmaking process.

And I’ll admit, when I was dreaming of my career in Hollywood – I never set out to become a leading movie distribution consultant.
But after taking our first feature to market, I realized something. The movie distribution paradigm is totally broken.
So here I am – on a mission to help you understand your movie distribution options.
You may not know this yet. But there is a lot of disruption taking place in Hollywood. In fact, independent filmmaking as we know it is getting turned up-side-down.
The reasons for this are simple. . .
Inexpensive production technology coupled with modern forms of video-on-demand distribution has changed the way movies are made, marketed, seen and sold.
Movie_Distribution

The New Movie Distribution Paradigm

When I started participating on film festival panels, filmmakers used to ask how to land a distributor, how to get a good movie distribution deal and how to live happily ever after.
But over the last few years, the narrative has changed significantly.
Filmmakers are now asking questions about how to market and sell their own movies, without the middleman.
This trend is not limited to micro-budget filmmakers down to their last movie distribution decision.
In the last month alone I have consulted with some very well-known filmmakers who have decided to bypass traditional movie distribution deals in lieu of video-on-demand.
Why?
Because these filmmakers have already sourced an audience and have opted to sell directly. I’m not kidding.
A few months back a famous TV celebrity (and filmmaker) called me, asking:
If I already have access to thousands of people who know me and my work, what is the value in sharing my notoriety with a sales agent promising to get my movie on iTunes?”
Her question makes perfect sense.
The paradigm is shifting fast. DVD sales are diminishing, being replaced by modern video-on-demand platforms both online, and through your television.

Movie Distribution Success Is Your Responsibility

Whenever I give talks, I ask filmmakers:
What is your business?
Many filmmakers respond: “To make movies.”
And while I understand the response. . .
The new answer is: “Audience building.”

No comments:

Post a Comment